Saturday, February 9, 2013

A Long, Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan
Hardcover, 342 pages
Published August 9th 2011 by Candlewick (first published August 1st 2011)
ISBN: 0763652601 (ISBN13: 9780763652609)
Rating: 4 Stars
 
Summary:
 
It should have been a short suspended-animation sleep. But this time Rose wakes up to find her past is long gone-- and her future full of peril.

Rosalinda Fitzroy has been asleep for sixty-two years when she is woken by a kiss. Locked away in the chemically induced slumber of a stasis tube in a forgotten subbasement, sixteen-year-old Rose slept straight through the Dark Times that killed millions and utterly changed the world she knew. Now, her parents and her first love are long gone, and Rose-- hailed upon her awakening as the long-lost heir to an interplanetary empire-- is thrust alone into a future in which she is viewed as either a freak or a threat. Desperate to put the past behind her and adapt to her new world, Rose finds herself drawn to the boy who kissed her awake, hoping that he can help her to start fresh. But when a deadly danger jeopardizes her fragile new existence, Rose must face the ghosts of her past with open eyes-- or be left without any future at all.
 
 
Rant: 
 
And my favorite character award goes to......Otto! Ugh..he's just so perfect. Even if he is blue-hey blue works on him(;
This was a really cool re-telling. And for those of you who have read my reviews before, you'll know I have a strange obsession with re-tellings. I don't know why I just do. Get over it.
I thought it was really cool how Sheehan incorporated the original telling with this: Briar Rose, castle with rose thorns, prince charmings, Rose. Ugh. Jealous of your story telling abilities. Just. Go. Hahaha.
It was so cool how it was kinda futuristic, techno, but still soft and sweet you know.
And wow. Abunchofhotguys.

“Did you know I blush purple? Jamal’s teasing me about it."
"Is he reading this?" I asked, horrified.
"No."
"Sorry I made you blush."
"I’m not. Good night, Briar Rose."
"Good night, blue-skinned alien."
 
Although, you all should know who I'd choose by now.
Past
Present
Future
Three guys. Three time phases. (anyone else think it's funny how there's three fairy godmothers)
And of course the UniCorp (Unicorn. Hahahahahah) is the evil enchantress. Duh.

Ohhhh I just loved Otto. Book boyfriend, anyone. Too bad. Can't have him. He's mine. Mine mine mine.
And in a weird way, I wanted to cry at some points in the book. It was strange, I didn't think this would be a sad book, but in some parts it was. It really was.
Book two anybody?

“I haven't finished revisiting Sleeping Beauty. As a faerie tale, that one is rife with inherent difficulties. After all, the world doesn't stop just because one person is asleep.”
 
Over all I would award this book 4 stars because although it was like totally amazing (fangirling) I think that Otto should have been in it more and I wish they went in depth with all the evil stuff a bit more. Wow that sounds weird: I want more evil. heheheheheee 
 
 
 
Say Yes to the
Book
-Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment