Monday, March 11, 2013

Love and Leftovers by Sarah Tregay

Hardcover, 432 pages
Published December 27th 2011 by Katherine Tegen Books
ISBN: 0062023586 (ISBN13: 9780062023582)
edition language: English
original title: Love & Leftovers 
Rating: 4 Stars
Summary: 
 My wish is to fall cranium over Converse in dizzy daydream-worthy love.

(If only it were that easy.)

Marcie has been dragged away from home for the summer--from Idaho to a family summerhouse in New Hampshire. She's left behind her friends, a group of freaks and geeks called the Leftovers, including her emo-rocker boyfriend, and her father.

By the time Labor Day rolls around, Marcie suspects this "summer vacation" has become permanent. She has to start at a new school, and there she leaves behind her Leftover status when a cute boy brings her breakfast and a new romance heats up. But understanding love, especially when you've watched your parents' affections end, is elusive. What does it feel like, really? Can you even know it until you've lost it?

Rant:

I just love lyric books.

This was insanely adorable. Its basically a tale of being an idiot, discovering who you are and what you expect of people and, well, discovering LOVE. Let's just start this rant with the fact that the main character, who writes poems, knows nothing about love. At all. 
 “Do you hate the person
who tapped the first domino down?
Or do you hate the domino
for not standing up for itself?
And if you are the second domino,
and you get toppled, do you hate yourself?”
Her parents are recently divorced because, after 17 years, decided to come out of the closet and announce to his wife and daughter that he is, in fact, gay, and has fallen in love with a 27 year old bartender: Danny. Isn't it weird that his is the only name I can remember? He WAS my favorite character. Haha
Driving competition. Lol xD
Okay I have to go search her name real quick. brb

MARCIE! THAT'S HER NAME!
“I want another person to notice me, to say that I matter, to say that they care about me.” 

Okay so Marcie wants "to fall cranium over Converse in dizzy daydream-worthy love" Doesn't everybody? All she has are a bunch of questions. She wants to know why her Dad decided now was the perfect time, what love really is, what she wants, what she needs, who she is. Basically all the usual teenager questions that haunt society. Whatever. So she moves from The Leftovers (her friends) in Boise, Idaho with her mom to New Hampshire. Where people, apparently, talk funny and not at all like the vanilla accent in Boise.

I don't know there was something about the messed up-ness of it all that made it a special kind of perfect.

So yeah---> Read it!

2 comments:

  1. I'm the opposite of you, I usually can't stand novels in verse. It is too like poetry to me and makes me feel like there is something I should be taking away from each line, like some secret meaning. You make the book sound fantastic though, so I may just pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! See, that was one of the really cool (I thought) things about this novel. It really didn't feel like a verse novel. To me it felt like she was talking to you telling you everything she felt and what was happening. I dunno. I liked it and think you should seriously consider reading it(:

      Delete