Wednesday, September 23, 2015

DIY Bookish Snacks: Truffles


Hey, y'all! Since my last bookish DIY food snack thing post went so well, I thought I'd just keep on keeping on. To put it simply.

So this week, we're making truffles. Not the mushroom. The melt in your mouth covered in more chocolate with a bit of spice things. Oh yes. Oh, yes.



Did I mention these taste, like, really, super fantastic. They're chocolate-y and spicy and WONDERFUL. And, like the chocolate covered potato chips (can you tell I like chocolate?) are super easy. 


I like to think these are best eaten while re-watching Jane Austen's PRIDE AND PREJUDICE. Or MANSFEILD PARK. Those are both worthy of this recipe. 

REGENCY CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES



So here, my lovely little readers, is what you need:

2 cups of medjool dates (these can be either with or without pits. Mine had pits in them, but I removed them before I tossed them in the processor. Whole foods usually has some in stock!)
3/4 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips (try to get the smallest ones you can. They blend easier)
2 tablespoons of coconut oil (I personally don't like coconut oil, so I try to find one that isn't so coconut-y. Mostly this is for texture)
1 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons of chocolate powder, unsweetened (I use Dutch processed. Because I'm fancy like that)
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon (I think Penzey's Spices has the BEST variety) 
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne (if you want it a little less spicy, use 1/8 teaspoon) 
1/8 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract (we make our own at my house) 

What to do now? WEEELLLLL, put all of that good stuff into the food processor (I don't know, maybe a blender would work too? Haven't tried that one.) and plus it until everything looks pretty well chopped up and mixed together. 

When you think it looks like dough, get an small-medium ice cream scoop and make little balls out of the dough. Roll the balls into some chocolate powder and set on wax paper.

YAY! Now, they're pretty much ready to munch on. I put mine in the fridge to harden up, but it's really up to you at this point. 

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment