Saturday, February 22, 2014

Review: A Kiss by Design by Christy Hayes

Source: Netgalley
Goodreads

Summary

What's a girl to do when her best friend is making a mistake? Stop him, of course. College sophomore Emily Dilbert has been best friends with Dylan Chamberlain since they were kids. All she wants is for him to be happy and she knows him better than anyone. That's why when she finds an engagement ring in his backpack she has to stop him from marrying the wrong girl. Dylan Chamberlain has been in love with his brother's girlfriend, Emily, since the second grade. When his brother asks for help planning a surprise proposal, Dylan knows it's time to bury his feelings and finally let Emily go. Too bad his heart refuses to cooperate. All of Emily's attempts to lure Dylan away from his girlfriend fail, forcing her to turn up the heat on their friendship. Will Dylan reveal his long-buried secret and tell Emily how he feels? Or will Emily be forced to use any means necessary to show him the error of his ways?


Cute and light-hearted with a hint of scandal and a love that’s fire burned out long ago, A KISS BY DESIGN is a note-worthy story, but didn’t earn a spot on my ‘favorites’ shelf. Want to know why? Keep reading the rant!

College sophomore, Emily, is content. She has a boyfriend who cares more about football than anything else, the most amazing friends ever and her boyfriend’s brother as a best friend. When Emily finds an engagement ring at the bottom of Dylan’s bag, she freaks, to say the least. She goes on this whirl wind and not suspicious at all (that was said VERY sarcastically) adventure, hoping that the outcome is Dylan being single. Not that she cares. I mean she’s just being a good friend, right?

This book was okay. I have a feeling I am going to be in the minority here once this one gets a little better read in the bookish community. The writing was good- average at best and the story line was pretty cute. I was the big and totally oblivion to each other’s feeling’s that I found all too annoying. Also the tipping point is one of my biggest pet-peeves. And I can’t tell you because it is a ginormous spoiler (sorry!) 

From the beginning I was on team Dylan. I wasn’t a fan on him too much though. It was so freaking obvious he had the hots for her. But the beginning of this book was all too adorable to resist!! Mark my words- it'll make you swoon! And this his football fanatic brother with the engagement ring was a complete idiot but in some strange way, really did like her. I though Emily was typical. 

Overall, I can’t recommend this book for any other reason than for the writing style. If you’re looking for something sappy with characters who can’t see that the perfect person is right in front of them, then this, my dears, is your book. 

Who's read this book? What did you think of it? The cover if A KISS BY DESIGN is what drew me into it because it is just adorable! Do you like the cover? Are you more of a contemporary or fantasitcal fiction kind of  book person. I've seemed to be VERY into contemporary this year! 


No comments:

Post a Comment