Monday, March 10, 2014

Review: Branded by Abi Ketner & Missy Kaliciki

Branded by Abi Ketner & Missy Kaliciki
June 28, 2013
Source: Via Netgalley. In no way did this sway my opinion

Summary

Fifty years ago the Commander came into power and murdered all who opposed him. In his warped mind, the seven deadly sins were the downfall of society. He created the Hole where sinners are branded according to their sins and might survive a few years. At best. 
Now LUST wraps around my neck like blue fingers strangling me. I’ve been accused of a crime I didn’t commit and now the Hole is my new home. 

Darkness. Death. Violence. Pain. 

Now every day is a fight for survival. But I won’t die. I won’t let them win.

The Hole can’t keep me. The Hole can’t break me. 
I am more than my brand. I’m a fighter. 
My name is Lexi Hamilton, and this is my story.



“I love you... I don't want you to ever question it. I'd give up my life for yours. That's how much I love you. Don't you dare ever doubt that.” 

The characters in BRANDED are like none other. They are completely unique and what they face is beyond explanation. We start off with a startling scene. Our main character has a noose around her neck by her own choice, sees the ring her father gave her, hears the soldiers come to take her away and decides to run. To take a chance at life, knowing that she would be caught. And she is, caught.  She’s also fearless; she may get startled but she always bounces back. She won’t let them change her, she won’t let them change her into what she was branded-a whore.

Lexi was stronger than anyone really knew and a whole lot stronger than she realized.

Cole was just a good person. He was strong and did everything who knew what to do to protect Lexi, even deny his feelings knowing it would get them both killed. But let’s face it, they are perfect for each other. Cole is Lexi’s guard, he’s ordered to protect her, not fall in love with her. But of course, he does.
"You're not allowed to leave me. If you die, I die"
I loved his character. He was willing to die to keep Lexi out of harm and everything he did, like for the sick girl, was for her. Everything he did was to make her happy. Lexi with the broken past and uncertain future, gave his hope and taught him to love.

Lexi’s past haunts her and follows her into the future and haunts her dreams.

Cole and Lexi are caught in the middle of trying to fight for their future. What they are doing is the tipping point of their society, and this is only the beginning…..

The concept of this book is so freaking epic. Branded with a sin, but everyone sins. This new world is based on the government being paid off by the rich to keep them out of the Hole and the poor getting sent to it. The way the entire book is executed is beyond amazing and perfect and wonderful. I love it. I just do.

The action scenes are extremely intense and the love seeped out of my Kindle. Yes, it was that good. The romance was expertly executed with the pure and fantastic star-crossed-ness of it all. I could see this future dystopian world with the setting that made it all too contemporary. It felt real.

Now for the complaints…..

Towards the ending of the second half of the book, it slowed down and I found myself skimming, looking for the action scenes and stolen kisses I craved. (I found them)

(next is not a complaint)

THE ENDING


“I never planned on falling for you. You were just an assignment. But it just sort of happened and now... There's not a single thing I would change about you. When you smile, my entire world stops. All I see is you. I need you.”


In the end, the characters are relatable and the writing is life-like. I recommend this book full-heartedly! Have any of y'all read this book? What did you think? Leave a link so I can check out our blog!


Next one please!


No comments:

Post a Comment