Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Review: Fire & Flood by Victoria Scott

Fire and Flood by Victoria Scott
Copy via Netgalley + Publisher
Goodreads / Buy it Here /

Synopsis

Time is slipping away.... 

Tella Holloway is losing it. Her brother is sick, and when a dozen doctors can't determine what's wrong, her parents decide to move to Montana for the fresh air. She's lost her friends, her parents are driving her crazy, her brother is dying—and she's helpless to change anything.

Until she receives mysterious instructions on how to become a Contender in the Brimstone Bleed. It's an epic race across jungle, desert, ocean, and mountain that could win her the prize she desperately desires: the Cure for her brother's illness. But all the Contenders are after the Cure for people they love, and there's no guarantee that Tella (or any of them) will survive the race.

The jungle is terrifying, the clock is ticking, and Tella knows she can't trust the allies she makes. And one big question emerges: Why have so many fallen sick in the first place?





It took me forever to get into this book. Like four months, actually. I was forever stuck at fifteen percent. Why? I didn’t like Tella’s character. I thought she was annoying. On August 18 I decided I was going to do it. I was going to read the entire book. And I was going to enjoy it, damnit. And I did enjoy it. And might I just say, I don’t really see the whole hunger games-ness to this book like everyone is talking about. I remember one blogger saying something about this being like the whole Pokémon I choose you and I SO SEE THAT! As usual, Victoria Scott delivered. Why did I ever doubt you? I mean she came up with Dante *fans self*
                                                       
First, let’s talk about the games. Basically, it’s a survival of those who know how to survive and can team up and who has the best Pandora. AND OMG GUYS! TELLA’S PANDORA IS AWESOME! Okay, you got me. I love them all. What can I say? I like animals better than people. Even when they’re in scary bear form. *pinches the bear’s face and coos* REINDEERS ARE BETTER THAN PEOPLE!!! The competitors are trying to survive in order the get the cure for the incurable disease that magically appears in their loved ones. I really like the back story on this whole thing a ma jig. It’s interesting. And makes me want to both hug and slap a lot of people. Dude, these games are not fun. And some of the people fighting to win are freaking psycho. Like, you need to go admit yourself to a hospital. YOU DON’T DO THAT TO ANIMALS!! I WILL HUNT YOUR ASS DOWN, BUDDY. *sneers* *composes self*

Let’s talk about the loooooove. I thought I’d be disappointed with it, to be honest. Why? I love love. A whole lotta love. And all the reviews said that this was a really insignificant part of the book. AND THAT MADE ME SAD. And yes, Guy was the whole strong and silent type, but hot damn. That boy. I mean. Man of few words? Oh yes. I mean what. *blushes* He was all protective in a not lock the girl in a room kind of way, but more like let her figure it out and I’ll back her up. And kill anyone who messes with her. *fist pump* Also, he is so sane compared to some of the people in this book. And I really like sanity. Especially when I’m trying not to die. So I assume Tella does as well.  I just love Tella’s inner voice. She is witty and sassy and tries to keep her head screwed on straight. And the whole animal compassion makes me like her a lot more than I would have, especially with all her talk of needing cosmetics.

Finally, the minor characters. I love them all. Their voices were strong and their character points were developed. None of them felt 2-D, which I totally count as a bonus. WOOOOO HOOOOO!


Overall, why in the world did I wait so long?


No comments:

Post a Comment