Tuesday, February 18, 2014

ARC Review: Better off Friends (The Ice Cream Worthy Book)

Expected publication by February 25, 2014
Source: Netgalley and Scholastic
Goodreads

Summary

For Macallan and Levi, it was friends at first sight. Everyone says guys and girls can’t be just friends, but these two are. They hang out after school, share tons of inside jokes, their families are super close, and Levi even starts dating one of Macallan’s friends. They are platonic and happy that way.

Eventually they realize they’re best friends — which wouldn’t be so bad if they didn’t keep getting in each other’s way. Guys won’t ask Macallan out because they think she’s with Levi, and Levi spends too much time joking around with Macallan, and maybe not enough time with his date. They can’t help but wonder . . . are they more than friends or are they better off without making it even more complicated?

From romantic comedy superstar Elizabeth Eulberg comes a fresh, fun examination of a question for the ages: Can guys and girls ever really be just friends? Or are they always one fight away from not speaking again — and one kiss away from true love?



People, of the world, not of this world, of the sea...TO INFINITY AND BEYOND…you need this book in your life, like, yesterday. To put it simply, it’s as good as a hot fudge sundae with no bananas, cookies, more ice cream, some whipped cream and fresh strawberries and raspberries. Now I'm hungry! So basically just really awesome and sugar filled ice cream concoction. Also, just as sweet. I LOVE IT SO MUCH!



We begin the book with their first meeting. Our two main characters are around 10, I believe and her mother just died rather tragically in a car crash. We can see that middle school Levi likes our sarcastic, hilarious main girl with a rather tragic back story. Along the way we see an array of first loves, first kisses and jealous love, heartbreaking betrayals.  We lose friends and we gain some. Erm- I mean our characters do. The way the characters interact with each other tugs at the heart strings in an undeniable way. Plus, they are just so freaking adorable that there is no way you cannot love them. Their voice’s are so relatable as are the moments in their lives.  As are their emotions: the confusion, the happiness, the fear-fear of change, of the unknown. It’s understandable. (Though rushing off to Ireland is a bit rash) *run run run* Heheh. 



Now let’s talk about this gorgeous writing we got going on here. I adore the alternate POV in this book. Even though I couldn’t figure out who was talking sometimes. I love how they each have their own voice and how they’re each are trying to reach their own individual goals. The way the author was able to distinguish between the two characters was amazing. She did an amazing job at developing the characters and as they grew older, showing how they grew into themselves. It was fantastic and I LOVE THE WAY SHE WRITES.

I love love. This was love and friendship on steroids. NO WAIT. You know that quote that says “love is friendship set of fire”? YES. That quote and this book. They need to get married. Who’s with me? This book was adorable. When they fought I felt like sobbing (I didn’t) and I just wanted to smush their faces together. They got each other better than ANYONE else. They had those adorable inside jokes. (wow, I’ve used adorable way too much in this review. Does this even qualify as a review?)  Is there anything else to talk about? *ponders for a bit*

Her bravery. I know it wasn’t explicitly stated in the book enough but she was BRAVE. I mean she stood up for her family. Throwing punches and taking names and all that jazz. I just love her character. She’s someone who’d you’d want to be friends with.

If I haven’t convinced you by now to go ahead and read this or order it or place it on hold…I don’t know what else to do. WAIT! SHE KISSES HIM TO SHUT HIM UP! AND THEN WALKS AWAY!

How about now? (; #win


Final Quote: And then you had to get a boyfriend.It was only a matter of time before I was snatched up, especially when you can bake a brownie like I do. (ARC)

Boy and girl can be JUST friends. That's what this entire book is about. I mean sure they fell in love with their best friend along the way but STILL. What do y'all think? Can guys and girls be JUST friends?

No comments:

Post a Comment