Thursday, February 13, 2014

Review: Off Sides by Sawyer Bennett

Off Sides by Sawyer Bennett
(Off #1)
February 21, 2013 by Big Dog Publishing
Source: Kindle Freebie
Goodreads

Summary

“I'm not sure what possessed me to do it. Maybe it was the impossible expectations I faced, maybe it was my own self-loathing. But I just knew I needed something different to happen. I needed someone... something... to derail me from my current path. Otherwise, I would become lost... a hollowed out shell of a man. So I did it. I approached her, then I pursued her, then I made her mine. And my life was saved...”

Ryan Burnham is the privileged son of a U.S. Congressman and captain of his university’s hockey team. While he is on the verge of fulfilling his dreams to play in the NHL, his parents want him on a different course. One he is expected to accept for the sake of his family’s public image.

Forced her to abandon her music career after the heart breaking death of her parents, Danny Cross exists on the opposite side of the tracks from Ryan. She is struggling to make her own way, working two jobs, attending college part time and volunteering in a homeless shelter. She is on a mission to build her own success.

With a chance meeting, their vastly different worlds collide, causing each to evaluate whether they are truly on the correct path to self-fulfillment and happiness. Can their relationship survive? Particularly when others are against them every step of the way. A lot can happen in just ten short days...



OFF SIDES was short and sweet but not entirely original.

We begin a not-so-subtle romance with a trip to the diner. The waitress is none other than our main girl Danny. Danny has purple tips in her hair and piercings but underneath her exterior, she’s basically a kitten. At the table is our man guy Ryan, who happens to be the captain out the school hockey team and a genuinely nice guy even with his oh so very cutthroat political parents.

This book takes us through the unlikely romance of two people from the completely opposite side of the tracks. We see the trials they face, and romance and the HEA.

Okay, let me just start off with I predicted every single thing that happened in this book. While this book is obviously a light-hearted read with no real plot twists, I still felt it needed something (please?) to give it some more substance than it had. When things got messy (his ex, his mom, their status) the issues were over as quickly as they were to arrive and although that’s not necessarily a bad thing, it did make the book less enjoyable form my stand point.

Also the language in this book is…off. I don’t mean cussing or any of that but just the way Ryan referred to Danny using names like ‘toots.’ I’ve never heard anyone my age call anyone toots.

Favorite Quote: "Finally Ryan pulls away slightly, breathing hard against my mouth. “Jesus, Danny.”
I don’t think Jesus has anything to do with the explosion that just happened between us but if He did, I’m heading to church to thank him."


I've seen a lot of good reviews for this book. Have any of y'all read it? Tell me what you think! Leave me a link to your blog to I can check it out!




No comments:

Post a Comment