Thursday, September 5, 2013

Five Flavors of Dumb {Review}

Hardcover, 338 pages
Published November 11th 2010 by Dial
ISBN: 0803734336 
Summary
The Challenge: Piper has one month to get the rock band Dumb a paying gig.

The Deal: If she does it, Piper will become the band's manager and get her share of the profits.

The Catch: How can Piper possibly manage one egomaniacal pretty boy, one talentless piece of eye candy, one crush, one silent rocker, and one angry girl? And how can she do it when she's deaf?

Piper can't hear Dumb's music, but with growing self-confidence, a budding romance, and a new understanding of the decision her family made to buy a cochlear implant for her deaf baby sister, she discovers her own inner rock star and what it truly means to be a flavor of Dumb.


Let's just start with the cover. I love it. It's one of my favorites!! The colors are amazing the girl has the whole rocker things going on. The font really fits with the book too(: And look at all those screaming fans!!!

Le book. Well....okay. I had high expectations. Why? Because LOOK AT THAT COVER! Sorry. I'm a cover person.

Over all I though this was a fine story. Just fine. I didn't really like Piper. Or her mom and dad. And I always had a bad feeling about Josh. I felt like Piper was...hidden? She felt ignored and on some parts, she was. Her dad for example: in the beginning he was a total jerk and refused to learn to sign even though his daughter couldn't hear. Piper's parents dipped into her college funds from her parents to buy a cochlear for her baby sister.

The band. Dumb was amazing and I felt they grew a lot as time went on. Sometimes they were, well, dumb and other times they were amazing. They were five flavors, win some, lose some and together they were awesome.

We got to have an inside look at the music scene a bit, just a bit. The book was more about the band's dynamic with  each other more than anything else. Piper was a bit judgmental for someone who got judged all the time. I would think that she would try try to be less so because she knows how it feel to be judged.

The romance in the book was almost non existent. I mean what is there is pretty stinkin cute, but it's barely there. I would have loved to see more.

~

1/2

Jackie   

No comments:

Post a Comment