Friday, July 11, 2014

#BookReview Dark Paradise by Angie Sandro

Dark Paradise by Angie Sandro
July 1, 2014 by ForeverRomance
Copy via Netgalley + Publisher
Goodreads

What's it all about? 

DARK LEGACY

Mala LaCroix has spent her whole life trying to escape her destiny. As the last in a long line of "witch women," she rejects the notion of spirits and hoodoo and instead does her best to blend in. But when she finds a dead body floating in the bayou behind her house, Mala taps into powers she never knew she had. She's haunted by visions of the dead girl, demanding justice and vengeance.

DEADLY SECRETS

Landry Prince has always had a crush on Mala, but when Mala discovers his sister, murdered and marked in some sort of Satanic ritual, he wonders if all the rumors about the LaCroix family are true. Yet after Mala uses her connection to the spirit world to identify his sister's killer, he starts to form his own bond to her . . . a very physical one. As they move closer to each other and closer to the truth, Mala and Landry must risk everything—their families, their love, and even their lives.



I don’t really know why, but Voodoo and witchcraft and swamps fascinate me. Believe me when I say I have no idea why. IT’S LIKE GYPSIES! Those guys fascinate me too. Why don’t people write more books with voodoo and gypsies? This book didn’t have gypsies, but it did have voodoo. Or at least spirits set on vengeance and hot guys who may be stalkers and killer family. Yeah, that’s right- STALKERS! That’s all you got out of that isn’t it? *le sigh* There’s also murder, deception, rumors and Creole. I really want to learn that language. First Endless Knight and Poison Princess, now this.

This book was insanely addictive. I found myself trapped (yes trapped. I read it all in one sitting) in this enchanting and surprisingly believable world. I found Mala really relatable. She spoke to me, I guess. She was fierce and brave but she still had the ability (yes this is a positive thing) to show weakness. I LOVE that. It’s nice when a character seems human. Landry is the most annoying of the pair. As you can probably tell from my ramble on goodreads from while I was reading the book. Still though, I found him relatable.

This wasn’t some epic love story that will have you swooning till the very end. To be honest, I didn’t really like the romance in this. It didn’t seem forced but both the characters seemed desperate. They didn’t exactly have stable parental units, so they found each other to cling to. They let out their anger and frustration and hope onto the other. And it kind of annoyed me. I thought that they needed to get their act together before they decided to have a relationship. But of course they didn’t ask me soooo…

AH! Then we have our almost love triangle with Dear ol’ Geogrie. I don’t really like him.

Overall, I thought the characters were good for the story and the plot with the whole murder and all that jazz was soooo cool. And I’m not usually a huge fan of mysteries. *hides behind table to avoid attack* But this one. Maybe it was the magical element. Or maybe it was the gators. *shrugs*


I don’t know man. GO FORTH AND READ!

"We'll forgive each other's sins and solve the mystery of Lainey's murder and Mama's assault together, because I'm too exhausted to do this alone." (ARC)

 Sooo...do y'all have any interesting book recommendations with gypsies or voodoo?

No comments:

Post a Comment