Saturday, July 25, 2015

Make My Wish Come True by Fiona Harper

Find it on Goodreads
November 1, 2013
Review copy via Netgalley

Family-orientated and Christmas-dinner cook extraordinaire Juliet is trying to keep it together in the wake of her marriage breakdown two Christmases ago, but the cracks are beginning to show.

Bright and vivacious Gemma was always the favourite daughter…So she has no qualms about leaving Christmas in her sister Juliet’s capable hands; and escaping the pressures of her glamorous job, and the festive madness by jetting off to somewhere warm. 

When Gemma shirks responsibility once too many and announces she’s off to the Caribbean (again!); Juliet finally snaps. Gemma offers her sister the perfect solution - to swap Christmases: she’ll stay home and cook the turkey (how hard can it be?) and Juliet can fly off into the sun and have a restorative break.

In the midst of all the chaos, there’s Will, Juliet’s dishy neighbour who’s far too nice to float Gemma’s boat and may secretly harbour feelings for her sister; and Marco, the suave Italian in the villa next door, who has his own ideas about the best way to help Juliet unwind. 

Will the sisters abandon caution and make this a Christmas
swap to remember? 


Well now I want to punch people. And hug people. And go to England. The cute cover is slightly deceiving of the story between the covers. And I don’t mean the story was bad. Because it’s not, but it’s also not altogether what I expected. Which can be perceived as either a good or a bad thing. Right now, I’m not really sure what it is.

I know I read this in March, but I wanted some Christmas. I mean, I set it to Michael BublĂ©’s Christmas album yesterday and drank hot chocolate. This book, in all honesty, wasn’t very Christmas-sy. It was more ‘our family has a lot of issues we avoid and we kind of hate each other but tiz the season let’s give this one last shot and maybe find love along the way.’

This story is the tale of two sisters, two men and how they find themselves and rekindle the sense of family that was destroyed at a young age. Neither of the sisters really appreciate the other, so I think that this book basically tries to work through the problems. Misconceptions are revealed and worked through. A few plot twists here and dash of me wanted to punch people in the face here and there and- voila! Le book! The sisters swap Christmas’ and learn how the other one lives, and a little about each other along the way.


I would love to say I loved this book, but I didn’t. I couldn’t connect with it the way I wanted too and honestly, I didn’t like any of the male supposed love interests. I found them to be rather. . .annoying? Too perfect? I don’t really know how to put it. *chuckles* Anyway, I can’t recommend it. Not for any particular reason, it just wasn’t my cup of tea.



Christmas recs to remember?


No comments:

Post a Comment