Wednesday, July 17, 2013

When You Were Mine (Review)

Kindle Edition, 352 pages
Published May 1st 2012 by Simon Pulse
Source: Bought

Summary:

 Rosie knows that she and Rob are destined to be together. They are best friends, next door neighbors, and the soon-to-be cutest couple in their senior class. Rosie has been waiting for years for Rob to kiss her—and when he finally does, it’s perfect.

But just before their relationship becomes completely official, Rosie’s cousin Juliet moves back into town. Juliet, who used to be Rosie’s best friend. Juliet, who now inexplicably hates her. Juliet, who is gorgeous, vindictive, and a little bit crazy... and who has set her sights on Rob. He doesn’t even stand a chance.

Rosie is devastated over losing Rob to Juliet. This is not how the story was supposed to go. And when rumors start swirling about Juliet’s instability, her neediness, and her threats of suicide, Rosie starts to fear not only for Rob’s heart, but also for his life. Because Shakespeare may have gotten the story wrong, but we all still know how it ends...



Heartbroken. That's what Rosie feels when Rob chooses her cousin Juliet over her.  The day after they went on a date! The nerve.... 

Yes, the story line stays true to the original Romeo and Juliet storyline. And I am so freaking happy for that. Wanna know why? I can't tell you or I totally would. I have no self restraint so I read the end of the book as soon as I got it in my hands. (hardcover, new for $3, yes, I am bragging) And the ending is perfect!! I would not change it for the world. 


“Sometimes...the hardest part about letting someone go is realizing that you were never meant to have them.” 

Rosie had just gotten the guy she's been wanting for pretty much forever. Rob. The only person she felt she was truly herself with. Even with her friends she felt like she was an actor with lines she had so say, a script she had to follow or the production would be ruined. Rob. The one person she even really wanted. 

Stolen. Stolen by none other than her cousin. Rob went insane for Juliet. She was his obsession and he was hers. 

 “They died together; they'll always be remembered together. It's decided, once and for all. He was hers.” 

I do wish they elaborated on the whole 'Rob and Juliet' thing. We as the reader got to see a smidget of the scenes but they lacked emotion and the true feeling of heartbreak. It was more like an ultimate betrayal. Her best friend/ almost boyfriend and her cousin. 

But they weren't meant to be, Rosie and Rob. She was mean to be with someone who knew her favorite candy and used study sessions as an excuse to hang out with her. Who got a black eye from Rob...for her. Who made her realize who she was, what she wanted, and that maybe some things just aren't meant to be and that 'thinking about it', ugh. Don't do that. All before they went on an actual date. 


I do wish her and her new (and forever) love got more scenes together. Maybe even a book from his perspective??? Please!? 

Oh, and this said mystery boy, is my new book boyfriend. He is just all kinds of perfection.  





Music for the book: 

  • Dark Blue: Jack's Mannequin 
  • Your Call: Secondhand Serenade 
  •  Crazy Beautiful: Andy Grammer
  • Her Love is My Religion: The Cab
 Jackie  

7 comments:

  1. GREAT review! I read this one back in the winter, and I gave it four stars as well! I love the story. But I wish there was more between the two lovebirds... Rosie and you know who ;)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Thanks. I personally love any twist on Romeo and Juliet!! So glad you liked it(:
      Happy reading
      Jackie

      Delete
  2. This book sounds really darn good. I like that you said it's very original... not a lot of books are now days. I was to pick this up now lol. Thanks for your review :)

    Kayla @ K.G. INC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sooo good! I was surprised (honestly) by how original it was. Usually all the R&J rewrites are just about them. I love how this revolved around Rosie!
      Thanks for stopping by(:
      Jackie

      Delete
  3. Awww I SO want to read this now! Great review girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It. Is. Amazing. Hon, you neeeed to read it!!
      Happy reading
      Jackie

      Delete
  4. what a great review!!!

    I'm a new GFC follower as well as Twitter!!
    I'll also be adding this to my TBR list so thanks :D

    xo
    Sarah @ The Ultimate Bookworms
    .

    ReplyDelete